top of page


What tax documents do I need to file? 

We have a comprehensive list of tax documents you may need listed on the main page. 


When is the deadline to file my taxes? 

Individual returns are due April 15th, 2024.  Extended returns are due October 15th, 2024.


When should I submit my tax documents to your office? 

As early as possible but no later than March 27th to ensure completion of your tax return on time.


How do I submit my documents? 

You may scan and upload your documents using our secure upload feature listed on the front page of our website. Your security is our number one priority and we enabled this feature with full encryption to protect your data.  It’s safe, easy and secure. Just scan in your documents and click on UPLOAD. We will get a notification when your documents arrive and will get your return done as soon as possible. You may also drop off your documents to our office.


What is the earliest I can file?

January 29, 2024 but feel free to upload your documents early.


Is there a penalty for filing my taxes after the deadline? 

Yes. You may incur penalties and interest based on your tax liability if not filed and paid by April 15, 2021. You may also incur penalties on underpayment of tax. You do have the option to file an extension. However, this is only an extension of time to file, not an extension to pay.


How long do I have to amend my return? 

You have 3 years from the due date of the return or two years from the date the tax was paid, whichever is later to amend your return.


I am self-employed – what records do I need? 

We have a Business Expense Checklist listed on our website that you may use for reference for items you may possibly deduct. You will also need to provide all 1099’s received.


Can I claim charitable contributions without a receipt? 

No. All charitable contributions must be substantiated with a receipt and acknowledgment letter from the designated charity. 


If I receive money as a gift, do I have to claim it? 

No. Gifts received in any amount are not taxable to the recipient.


Is an inheritance taxable? 

Generally no. Cash or property received in inheritance is not taxable unless you earn income such as rent, interest or dividends. You may call our office to speak to a professional for further details.


My spouse and I are separated. Can I file head of household? 

Head of household requires you to have a dependent and pay for at least half the expenses needed to maintain a home.


Is my mileage deductible? 

If you are self-employed, you may deduct mileage. 


Can I deduct my union dues and other work related expenses? 

Unfortunately, no.  With the passing of the new TCJA tax law, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible.  You should inquire with your employer to reimburse you directly through an accountable plan.


What are the current mileage rates? 

See document here.


What is the mileage rate for 2022? 

First half of 2022:

  • Business: 58.5 cents/mi

  • Medical: 18 cents/mi

  • Charitable: 14 cents/mi

Second half of 2022:

  • Business: 62.5 cents/mi

  • Medical: 22 cents/mi

  • Charitable: 14 cents/mi


What if I can’t afford to pay the taxes I owe? 

If you can’t afford to pay your taxes, it is imperative to file your tax return and make payment arrangements. Failing to file and pay your taxes on time will result in penalties and interest. The IRS has multiple payment options available, including installment agreements.  Keep in mind that you will still owe penalties and interest even if you enter into payment arrangements.

bottom of page